Our conjoined twin girls Ava and Teagan were born March 15th 2011. They shared a heart and liver. They sadly passed away March 17th, 2011. We miss them dearly every single day.










Wednesday, September 7, 2011

When people do good...

You stalk them!  What else would you possibly do?  Well at least that's what I did a few months ago!  Ok I didnt literally stalk him just hunted him down at the hospital.


When I went in the operating room to have Ava and Teagan Jason was not allowed in there because they were putting me to sleep.  I was already obviously a nervous wreck as everything was happening so fast and I wasn't expecting to be giving birth that day.  Well there was a man in there and I had no idea at the time what his job was.  He stood by my head the whole time and just kept talking to me and keeping me calm.  As calm as I could be at least.  I was so glad to have someone like that right there since Jason couldn't be there with me.  Well this man was also in the NICU with the babies once they were born and was still there when I finally was out of recovery and wheeled up on my bed to be with them.  This man insisted to the nurses to give me my babies and let me hold them.  Jason said they seemed very hesitant to do this since the girls were on ventilators, iv's and monitors.  They were fragile.  He just kept telling them to give me my babies.  So they did.  I think he just wanted to make sure I got to hold my babies while they were still here with us. I got to hold my babies right then and it is one memory that is still do fresh in my memory and one I will never forget.  So this probably really doesn't seem like a big deal.  It is!  I was pretty out of it from surgery and seeing my babies the way they were I don't know that I would have thought to insist on holding them.  I think I would have been too scared.  So for him to make sure that I got to hold them meant the world to me.  It was only 1 of 2 times I was able to hold them in my arms. 


This man was on my mind alot after that and I had no idea who he was.  He was so nice and just a warm person who you could tell loved his job and cared about people and what he does.  Well I had no clue what his name was.  I really wanted to tell him thank you.  I had a few pictures of Jason holding the girls and he is in the pictures.  So guess what I did?  I stalked him!  Ok not really.  I took my camera to the hospital and was on a mission to find him.  I get there and go to the desk where you go to get checked in when you are there to have a baby.  Standing there was ok for me.  The girls were trying to help me figure out who he was.  I'm sure they thought I was crazy :)  They looked at the picture and were looking me up on the computer to try to figure it out.  Well I decided it would probably be better to go over to the NICU thinking they would probably know.  So I get over there to the desk....and completely lose it.  It was very hard standing right there where I last saw my babies.  So through my tears...ok my sobbing...I was showing them the picture and explaining to them why I was there.  I delivered my girls at 749pm so I assumed he worked night since he was there then and there at like 2am.  I was thinking they might not know since they were the day shift (These are all assumptions I have no clue when he works lol) Well as I'm showing them the picture the door to the NICU opens and guess who walks out.  THE MAN does!  I looked and saw him and said that's him!   Don't I sound completely crazy!  Well he came over to me and didn't recognize me at first.  I didn't expect him to but as soon as I said he was there when my conjoined twins were delivered he knew exactly who I was.  So we stood there and talked for awhile.  I had a letter for him so I just told him that I felt like people that do good don't get recognized enough.  I feel like if someone isn't happy with something someone does that's when things are said.  I wanted him to know that even though he did something he probably didn't even think was a big deal it was a huge deal to me.  Anyway we talked for awhile, I gave him the letter and we went on our ways.  I really hope that he sat down and read that letter and it made his day.  It felt so good to give it to him and know he knew how much it all meant to me.  By the way this man was a wonderful Neonatal Nurse Practitioner.


So the next time someone does something nice or good, no matter how big or small, make sure to let them know you recognize it :)


I sure do miss my beautiful little Angels.  34 weeks in my belly and 2 days here on earth and they changed me and my life forever.  I learned so much from them.




"We thought of you with love today,
But that is nothing new.
We thought about you yesterday,
And days before that too.

We think of you in silence,
We often speak your name;
All we have now are memories,
And your picture in a frame.

Your memory is our keepsake,
With which we will never part;
God has you in his keep,
We have you in our heart.

It broke our heart to lose you.
But you didn't go alone,
For a part of us went with you...
The day God took you home."



Author Unknown









1 comment:

Alisha said...

i love this story! a perfect stranger giving you comfort and then he was there when you went back to that huge hospital. so great.