Our conjoined twin girls Ava and Teagan were born March 15th 2011. They shared a heart and liver. They sadly passed away March 17th, 2011. We miss them dearly every single day.










Thursday, January 6, 2011

Cardiologist

Yesterday we had our first appointment with a pediatric cardiologist named Dr. Stock.  First off...I love him!  He was great.  He just has a very caring, sweet presence about himself.  One of my doctors was there also...she too is great!  He did an ultrasound on the babies heart for about 1 1/2 hours.  Its quite interesting sitting there with 2 doctors, a nurse and ultrasound tech.  It sounded like they were speaking a foreign language to us!  After they were done with the ultrasound we went and talked with the dr (cardiologist)  I feel like I know so much more or I guess I should say I at least understand it all a little better.  He drew what their heart looks like for us and it helped me a lot.  He showed us what a normal heart looks like and what it does when babies are inside and then what it looks like and does once they are born.  Then explained to us what Ava and Teagans heart looks like and what it is doing and what it will do once they are born.  Now, I said I understand it better...in my head...but don't really know how to explain any of it!  I do know that one vessel that pumps blood out to the lungs is significantly smaller than it should be which causes a problem.  Also, they have a whole between the ventricles0  See I have no idea how to explain it.  Maybe after it being explained to me a few times I will get it down :)  I asked him if from what he sees if he thinks their heart may fail inside before they are even born and he said he doesn't think so.  Of course just being conjoined twins there is a risk of that (they say 40-60% are stillborn)  I also asked how long he thinks we will have with them when they are born and he thinks a few days.  That is better than a few minutes or hours and I will take it.  I will take one day.  I just want to be able to hold our sweet girls and for them to feel all the love they can for the short time they will be here with us.  Of course no doctor can really say because its not like this happens all the time and they have all these cases to go by.  So its really just a wait and see thing.  It is nice to have someone who knows what they are talking about look and give their opinion though.  For now I will see the cardiologist again in 4 weeks and I see my doctors every 2 weeks.  Now if we could just get some good pictures of these girls cute little faces!  At least one of them!  Maybe next time...

5 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lori Edwards said...

That was me up there that made that comment :) forgot to log out of my school email first haha

you explained it perfectly. The human heart changes in a big way with that very first breath. our circulatory systems become completely dependent once those lungs are used the very first time. I'm glad he drew pics for you. I know that makes a huge difference for me. Understanding how everything works can seem like greek when someone just tells you, but when they draw it and actually show you where stuff flows in and our it makes a world of difference! :) Mary Janes are almost done! Mittens are on their way as well.. the blanket is look beautiful and those little ones are going to be so snug and comfy in it :)

Thinking about the 6 of you today :) *hugs* hang in there momma!

itsmetrina said...

You are so brave, and I love your positivity! I also love their names :) I think they are so very lucky to have you <3

LaTonya said...

Lori the picture helped me sooo much! Even though I dont completely understand it I at least get the concept some now. Im glad I made some sense in trying to explain it :)

Thank you. I sure dont feel so brave :) Im trying though!

Natalie said...

Those baby girls are soo lucky to have you as their Mommy. They don't know that yet but one day they will:) You are explaining everything really good, it's hard to understand everything you are told yet turn around and explain it to others! We love you guys:)

~Natalie ( I don't have an account on here but wanted to comment lol)