Our conjoined twin girls Ava and Teagan were born March 15th 2011. They shared a heart and liver. They sadly passed away March 17th, 2011. We miss them dearly every single day.










Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Life can change in an instant

Back in August we learned that we were once again blessed to be pregnant with baby number 3!  We had went in at 7 weeks 3 days and had an ultrasound and saw the heartbeat.  Everything was great!  I had a few more appointments after that and heard that good strong heartbeat.  Always in the 150s or 160s.   I had our first ultrasound scheduled for December 10th.  The first ultrasound always makes me nervous because you just want to see the baby and know everything is ok.  So December 10th we head for our ultrasound and wow how life can change in an instant....


The tech started our ultrasound and one of the first things she said to us was "Oh...you are having twins?"  Jason and I were both like we are what!?  No we aren't.  There is only one."  Well I saw the 2 heads right away so I knew, it was just shocking to be almost 21 weeks and just finding out.  We were soo excited.  She starts doing the ultrasound and she is doing all the measurements on baby A.  She finishes and starts baby B and it doesn't take long.  She tells me I can go to the bathroom and she is going to get the doctor to take a look.  I knew in my heart something was wrong.  I even said it to Jason before I walked out to the bathroom.  The doctor came in and quietly looked at the babies too and then gave us the devastating news.  We did have 2 babies in there but they were conjoined at the chest and sharing a heart.  This was at 5pm on Friday.  They were on the phone calling my doctor but she was of course gone.  They left a message with the on call doctor who said he was going to get her the message and for us to call her first thing Monday morning.  We had so many emotions in a short period of time and now we had the whole weekend to wait and really know nothing at all except that this was not a good situation.


Monday morning my doctor called me right away.  She was sending me to a Perinatologist because this was something she has never dealt with.  My doctor is great.  She called and talked directly with the doctor and told her what was going on.  I just had to call and make an appointment.  Thankfully they got me in the very next day (which was today)


So today we went to the doctor.  We were in having the ultrasound done for about 1 1/2 hours with the tech.  Then the doctor came in for about 1 hour.  She confirmed the findings from Friday but at least now we have more details and a better understanding of what is going on.  Our sweet babies do share a heart.  They also share a liver.  Its a lot to take in but this is our understanding of what has happened.  Instead of having the 8 chambers between the 2 of them that they should have they only have 6.  Not good at all.  It would not be possible to separate them because their heart is defective and one couldn't survive with it.  They wont be able to survive together with a heart that really doesn't have everything it needs.  I don't even know if I make sense or how to explain it.  The doctor told us that either we can choose to terminate the pregnancy now or we can go on with the pregnancy and deliver the babies when the time comes.  There is no way...especially after seeing them for 2 1/2 hours that I could make the choice to terminate. Our babies are perfect in there, they aren't suffering and will not suffer. So for me personally I want to carry them as long as I can and give them any chance they have. So our plan is to continue on.  There is of course a good chance they could be stillborn.  I believe she said 30% chance of that.  Once they are born the babies will most likely pass away shortly after birth.  We will deliver sometime between 34 and 39 weeks depending on how the babies are doing in there and how my health is of course. 


Its still a complete shock to me I think.  It is not something you ever think you would have to go through.  These are not decisions I ever imagined we would have to make.  Ive never felt so many emotions together at once.  I'm sad, I'm angry and pissed off, when I feel them kicking away in there it brings me joy.  I have to accept that if we are only suppose to know them for 6 months in my belly, or 7 months or however many, or if we are suppose to get 1 hour or 1 day with them here on earth then that is how it is suppose to be.  Its not easy at all.  I feel like I'm on the verge of a breakdown at any moment but I know we will all be ok.  The babies included.  God will take GREAT care of our sweet babies.


I'm sure some of you might be wondering....its 2 sweet little baby girls!  We are naming them Ava Laurel and Teagan Marie.


We are going back tomorrow morning to see another doctor in the practice who I guess specializes in hearts.  Then we will go from there as far as seeing if they think we need to see a cardiologist or not. 


For those of you that pray many prayers for my family to get through this would be appreciated :)  and many prayers for baby Ava and Teagan to never have to suffer or feel any pain.  I love these 2 little girls so much and wish things were different.  There is a reason this has happened though and they will be our special little angels.  :)


I'm going to keep this updated for those that wish to follow know what is going on.




Here are some pictures we wanted to share with everyone :)


This is the both babies legs and feet all together.  I love this picture!


Profile view of one baby with her hand up by her face



Another profile view of her with hand by her mouth



Arm and hand



The babies legs.  Their knees are touching in this one



Another shot of one of the babies legs



Baby B...cute little face!  We had a hard time getting one of her face because she is facing down towards my spine



Another one of an arm and hand



Looking down at both of the babies heads



Leg and foot



Baby A...another cute little face!


Oh and by the way...I cant take credit for the name of our blog.  Stevens Twins: Linked with Love is all Jason :)

16 comments:

Unknown said...

We are all praying for you, the babies and your family. Thank you for the updates, please keep them comming. Love yall!

Justine said...

Ok yet again I am crying! Im so glad you decided to do this and I LOVE looking at the pictures! Of course you all are in my continued prayers especially Ava and Teagan that they feel no pain and for your health. Love you guys!

Dawn said...

Your heart breaking story had been forwarded to me on facebook and i felt compelled to leave you a message of thoughts, prayers and love sent to you and your family. I can only say that I believe God gives us only what we can handle. Even when it seems overwhelming and sometimes unfair... there is a reason for everything and every person that crosses our life path has a reason as well. Even if its for a day a week a month or a year that we have with them. The love we recieve and the love we bring can not be measured by time. My prayers again to you and your family. The best of luck also with everything that comes your way.
D. Hassell

Surup said...

I just read this AGAIN and tears are still falling. I love you!! You are so right. These sweet girls will always be your little angels. You guys are the strongest people I know. Many Many Prayers. Im also going to pass this onto my facebook. I know a lot of people that can spare prayers for you.

P.S LOVE THE NAMES!!

The Clark Clan said...

Latonya....I am in tears. I can't even imagine what you and Jason are going through. Please let me know if you need anything! Praying for you & your family!

Unknown said...

LaTonya, I felt impressed to share with you that we are praying for you all and I wanted to all share with you a small part of my friends' life as well...hopefully it will comfort you.
My friend has been pregnant 9 times now and has 5 beautiful children. The last 4 times they got pregnant she lost the baby in her 5th month of pregnancy with no known cause and little explanation as to why. Each time has been extremely hard on them as well as their surviving children but this last time when they shared their heartache with us again they also shared with us their incredible love and appreciation for the short time that they had with their little ones. They knew that God needed those precious souls to have a body so that they could return to him again to do the work in heaven that is needed. Their family and all of us now have 4 more little angels looking after us. I believe that their strength is the reason that God chose them for such challenges and blessings.
I believe He also chose you and your family for this challenge because of your strength.
I do not know you but I just felt the need to share this with you and to let you know that people who do not know you are praying for your precious family and thinking of you and yours.

Unknown said...

Latonya, I love that you posted this blog about your sweet angel babies. Thank you for sharing with all of us your strength and hope. Know that you have many people praying for you and the babies and I hope that it gives you comfort. I love you guys and I can't say it enough, if you need anything at all please don't hesitate to ask.

Unknown said...

My heart goes out to you.. I admire your thoughts and stregth. God new the two of you would be the best parents for your girls.. you can hear the love in your words. Your girls will know the good of this world the unfailing love of thier two parents. Thank you for sharing

Unknown said...

I've been prayn for you and your family nonstop! You are so strong! My heart, thoughts and prayers are with you!

Mindi said...

I was forwarded to your blog through facebook. You will be in my prayers and those of my family members. You have two beautiful girls in there and we will pray that you can keep up you strength to continue to help your babies grow. Your strength and determination is inspiring. I can't imagine what you are going through, but we will pray that God keeps a special watch over your family.

Diannew said...

I was forwarded to your blog through facebook. I am Jackie's SIL. My heart goes out to you and your family. On those days when you feel it is overwhelming take time for yourself--do something special. There are no words that can make 'it all better' but I did find this verse in the bible. May it give you some comfort to know that the Lord's hand is in this for reasons we can not understand. But even while they are in your womb He is with them.
"You made all the delicate, inner parts of my body, and knit them together in my mother's womb. Thank you for making me so wonderfully complex!
It is amazing to think about.
Your workmanship is marvelous - and how well I know it.
You were there while I was being formed in utter seclusion!
You saw me before I was born and scheduled each day of my life before I began to breathe.
Every day was recorded in your Book!

Psalm 139.13-16

LaTonya said...

Thank you all for the thoughts, encouraging words and prayers. They are all very much needed and appreciated. It means alot to see people we dont even know thinking of and praying for our precious girls.

Alisha said...

Fourth time reading it...
tears everytime. ava and teagan are so cute playing footies. i love them and you!

LaTonya said...

and we love you Alisha!

Anonymous said...

You are in my prayers Latonya...you're whole family. My family sends all their love your way :*
Love,
Idalia

Shawna said...

Someone shared your blog on a forum I'm on. I will remember you and your family and those precious little angel babies in my prayers. God bless you all.